We Can Help
You might also find your answer in the LastPass Enterprise Manual.
I get an error when trying to Share with another user. How do I create a Sharing Key?
If you see an error that says:
An Error occurred - Cannot retrieve any public keys. The user may need a sharing key to be created.
This means that the you or the user you are trying to share with have not generated Sharing Keys, yet. Sharing Keys are necessary to share encrypted data between two users. To genereate Sharing Keys please do the following:
- If you have not already, install the LastPass extension for your browser from our downloads page here. If you do not see the extension icon in your browser, please see our advice here.
- Once installed, click on the LastPass extension icon and log in. Your Sharing Key has been created!
- To generate the key without the extension, log in through the LastPass.com site, you will see the Generate Sharing Key option at the top left of your vault after logging in.
- You only need to do this once. For example, if you have logged into your Chrome extension already, you will no longer see 'Generate Sharing Keys' in Safari as the Sharing Key has already been created.
- If you change your Master Password, email address, or iterations, you will need to generate a new Sharing Key .
- Binary must be installed. See the FAQ here to verify if you are running the binary component.